Aragon Online

Go Back   Aragon Online > Discussion > General

General Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 AM
Knave
Novice

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Remake?

Hello, new here, but I've got a question:

A while ago I read a review of a game called Sword of Aragon: Ascension. The review mentioned cut scenes and the fact that you could not choose your character type. Was this remake ever made? Was it lost in the development stages and never emerged? Or was somebody pulling my leg?

The wikipedia page tells me the game spawned "one remake"...but for the life of me, I can't find any info on it. Maybe I have the title wrong, but I can't locate the original review off the 'net.

Am I just imagining things?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

City: Riverton
Race: Human
Wealth: 870,002
Population: 1,582

Merlin is on a distinguished road

This IS the remake. I have never heard of Sword of Aragon: Ascension before today.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Knave
Novice

I've tried tracking down the review, but it's been lost in the depths of cyberspace.

I know I'm being a bit vague here...I remember the article came up if you searched "sword of Aragon" on google a few years back (circa 2001)...plain text, apparently from a magazine. The main character indeed began with Aladda after the Duke's death, but the article gave him a name that started with an "M" (can't remember it clearly). I'm not even sure about the title...but I remember the article and my excitement in the idea of a remake. Then, sometime later I tried to track down the game with no luck, and, lo and behold, the article was gone. Since there's been naught but a whisper about it on the internet, I suppose it was a fake (which makes me wonder why someone would write it).

The only alternative I can think of, is that someone (a small development team, maybe) made a remake without copyright, which quickly got swept under the rug, but not before someone reviewed it in a fanzine.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:42 AM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

Maybe it was fan fiction?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Knave
Novice

The only Sword of Aragon fanfiction I've seen are misspelled Lord of the Rings homages.

Well, some possibilities:
1. I'm just imagining things
2. It was a joke
3. A small project developed without copyright that quickly dissapeared once the copyright status was made clear (i.e. Sword of Aragon is NOT in the public domain)
4. A legitimate game made without any reference to the creators through some wacky loophole that was abandoned near the end of development, a la Orcs: Revenge of the Ancient
5. A foreign release with added content (the review never did mention a remake, just features of the game that seemed different, and a different title)
6. A game about the Kingdom of Aragon, in Spain, that happened to share the title and the name of the main city
Old 03-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

Yep. Any of those are possibilities. There was an independent SourceForge project to remake Sword, but it never got out of the concept stage.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Knave
Novice

I figured it out. It was a review of the Amiga version, not a remake. That accounts for the small differences.