Aragon Online

Go Back   Aragon Online > Aragon Online Forums > The War Room

The War Room Discuss Aragon Online strategy and tactics. Economic strategy, battle tactics, and anything else related to game play.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Squire
Warrior

Nightstalker is on a distinguished road
Default Battle Results

I have felt for a long time that the percentage reduced of the enemy is low compared to how many you actually destroy. In my last battle against Giants I carefully monitored the progress and where each group of enemy went and methodically destroyed over 90% of the units. Yet in the after battle notes I was only credited with reducing the enemy force by 46%. Can this program be checked?

Also, there are definitely times when my turns were truncated. Sometimes only a few of my units carried out their instructions and then the program just licked up. I had to select Aragon and start a whole new turn. This is not good because the turns are really screwed up. It is : computer gets a whole turn, my forces get only 30% of their actions, program locks, new turn, computer gets whole turn, my forces get 80% and on and on. The result is that my forces get more reduced each turn before they can take their actions. It's very 'unfair' even though I am still winning.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Playtester
Archmage

City: Amber
Race: Human
Wealth: 110,197,840
Population: 91,309

Eudrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
I have felt for a long time that the percentage reduced of the enemy is low compared to how many you actually destroy. In my last battle against Giants I carefully monitored the progress and where each group of enemy went and methodically destroyed over 90% of the units. Yet in the after battle notes I was only credited with reducing the enemy force by 46%. Can this program be checked?
Regional battles are awarded a 50% bonus for a 100% kill while city battles are awarded 100% for the same. Each is prorated on surviving enemy troops. So your numbers are accurate. City defense is deemed to be the more important of the two types of battles as it is almost ALWAYS enemy initiated while regional battles are predominately player initiated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post

Also, there are definitely times when my turns were truncated. Sometimes only a few of my units carried out their instructions and then the program just licked up. I had to select Aragon and start a whole new turn. This is not good because the turns are really screwed up. It is : computer gets a whole turn, my forces get only 30% of their actions, program locks, new turn, computer gets whole turn, my forces get 80% and on and on. The result is that my forces get more reduced each turn before they can take their actions. It's very 'unfair' even though I am still winning.
I've not seen anything like this in the battles I've fought with my main character. I'll fight a few with my secondaries and see if I can duplicate this. This might be a problem that only Merlin can resolve however. Did you click the 'Remember Me' button as Merlin suggested?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Squire
Warrior

Yes, I have always used that when logging in. It still perplexes me but I will get along. We all play by the same rules but I think beginners might be put off by this.
Editorial:
This is a good game and I am surprised that more people did not start playing it. Initially were there many more bugs? How many players are there now? And best wishes to Merlin. If he is doing all the grunt work to keep this going and improve the code my hat is definitely off to him.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

City: Riverton
Wealth: 870,002
Population: 1,582

Merlin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that, though I have had plenty of non-programmer help: Ian Thompson and Ibrahim Amin, the writers, Moriority, a co-developer and Eudrick, our Dogged Play-tester.

I'm not sure how many big bugs have been around. We tend to squash those pretty quickly. I think what you're uncovering are problems related to not using the Remember Me checkbox (or disabling cookies). I've looked for and found a few of those as you've reported problems.

As for numbers, that's hard to say. Right now there are 3 or 4 active players. We've had a LOT during the past several years, since I started advertising to bring in more. It's not a mass-market game, so a lot go back to Farmville.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Squire
Scribe

Orpheus is on a distinguished road

I played FV and CV, quickly rising to the top in this one after abandoning FV as too repetitive. I left CV because the powers that ran the game changed the rules too often and almost never fixed actual bugs. I think that every time I log in I choose 'remember me', but my son (18) logs me out sometimes and plays his city, so I must later log in again. Maybe this interruption causes a problem? Also, another son (17) cleans up the computer every month or so and that erases all cookies, etc. But it keeps us streamlined and fast for multiplayer online gaming. My 18 year old agrees with me that Aragon is an interesting strategy game. I wish there were more active players but the number of NPC players keep life interesting.
One other fact I'd like to check. My city under 'World/Ranking/Army is listed as #6 in the ranking from 1-10, but below that it is listed as #53. Is one the ranking within a region and the other within the Aragon World?
Oh, BTW, each time a battle begins I must select 'Aragon' before the game will proceed with turns. And sometimes during turns the program will just stop, I cannot select anything and I must select Aragon in order to proceed. After I select 'Aragon' my screen goes white and is refreshed a couple of seconds later. Then I can start a new turn, look at messages, etc.

Last edited by Orpheus; 07-08-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added a thought
Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

The Rank thing is obviously a bug somewhere... You are #5. It has me as #40, which is way off. I looked at the code, and everything seems correct. The other two are correct. I'll puzzle that out a bit more.

What browser are you using? Do you see any error message?

Edit: Ranking problem resolved. I'm going to have to play more... I'm being surpassed by the new guys!

Last edited by Merlin; 07-08-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Squire
Warrior

Browser is Google Chrome and I never see an error message, but have not looked today. Thanks again!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

You still have units that are over-stacked, such as 3d HVY Cav (320/250). I'd suggest going through all your units, and reducing the size of all that are over-stacked. That is why your turns are truncated. When the AI gets to those units, it tries multiple times to move them, cannot, and gives up.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Squire
Warrior

I did get most of them reduced and every turn is better now. There were a couple that the program would not allow me to make changes to. I could change the unit size in the Arms list area and in the save unit side but when I did everything would go back to just what it had been. Would you reccomend that I just delete these units and make new ones?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

I looked at your units, and didn't see any that are still over the stacking limit. If you still have some, let me know which ones and I'll reduce them.