Aragon Online

Go Back   Aragon Online > Discussion > Role-Playing Games

Role-Playing Games Discuss table-top, computer and online role-playing games here

Old 07-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Developer
Cleric

Ibrahim Amin is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone Play Facebook RPGs?

I've been doing the writing for a Facebook RPG called Dawn of the Dragons. Not sure if anyone here's into that style of game, but if so you can play it here:

http://apps.facebook.com/dawnofthedragons/

Facebook has an insane number of RPGs, covering almost every conceivable genre and subject (vampires, zombies, pro-wrestling, organised crime, sorority life etc.).

The whole social gaming concept is quite interesting to me, and will hopefully have a positive effect on gaming in general (e.g. by bringing in players who might not previously have considered playing RPGs, but are now accustomed to them due to playing them casually on Facebook).
Old 07-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Developer
Wizard

City: Noregon
Race: Human
Wealth: 6,367,436
Population: 8,029

Moriority is on a distinguished road
Default Facebook Exposure

We could use all the exposure we can get and Facebook is at least as big as the Solar System, but, how do we get onto Facebook's list of games?

The social networking thing is intriging to me too. I had some vague notion of AO becoming some sort of a social network within the game. A series of chat rooms for a collection of adventurers? Merlin and Moriority long ago joined forces from 800 miles away to fight a battle in cyber-space. It won't be long before AO has Character/Henchmen-only sub-terrainian adventures. AKA "six guys in a dungeon". I can see characters from Oregon, California, Nevada and UK joining together, in real time, to descend the depths to conquer things that need conquering.

I also envisioned, after AO takes off, a way to let registered players "check in" to the NPC "Room" and wait, (playing your own character), for another AO Player/Character to get an ... "Encouter with hostile forces...". A message pops up on the screen saying, "You have indicated a desire to play the role of an NPC in another player's battle. Do you wish to do so now? Y or N ?
If there is more than one potential NPC player, first to press Y gets to fight.

At this time however, we really need to get the Scripts thing fully implemented. But, let's keep thinking about and posting social networking ideas. I really think this is the wave of, NOW!
I'd love to see some kid in Santa Rosa on his I-Pad, flamming some kid in Korea over losing his main city to a bunch of stupid ogres.

"Dreamin', I'm always dreamin'..."

Last edited by Moriority; 07-15-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

City: Riverton
Wealth: 870,002
Population: 1,582

Merlin is on a distinguished road

So far, I view Facebook games with scorn and disdain. Though that has more to do with "Sandy needs a Hoe for her Farm" crap polluting my updates.

I'll check that Dragons game out, sometime.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

Aragon Online is now on Facebook, if I have everything set up correctly.

http://www.facebook.com/apps/applica...13250455390719

Be sure to mark it as "Like" - we need ten users to be listed in the directory.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

The display leaves LOTS to be desired:
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Developer
Cleric

Ibrahim Amin is on a distinguished road

I threw a 'like' at it.

Ignore the name on the account. I'm not into social networking, so when I needed an account to help develop Dawn of the Dragons and research other games, I set one up under the name of a character from The Magnet (a British boy's story paper which ran from 1908 to 1940).
Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Playtester
Archmage

City: Amber
Wealth: 110,197,840
Population: 91,309

Eudrick is on a distinguished road

That Sir, is extremely Arcane, and I'm sad to say that I knew of it. (It's hell being a trivia king).
Old 07-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

I don't much care about the "social networking" part of Facebook, either. Which doesn't leave much remaining of it. Mostly I keep up with my kids, and know better what they are up to.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Playtester
Archmage

City: Amber
Wealth: 110,197,840
Population: 91,309

Eudrick is on a distinguished road

I reactivated my account to press the 'like' button. but the account is closed back down now.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Supreme Wizard
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim Amin View Post
I've been doing the writing for a Facebook RPG called Dawn of the Dragons. Not sure if anyone here's into that style of game, but if so you can play it here:

http://apps.facebook.com/dawnofthedragons/

Facebook has an insane number of RPGs, covering almost every conceivable genre and subject (vampires, zombies, pro-wrestling, organised crime, sorority life etc.).

The whole social gaming concept is quite interesting to me, and will hopefully have a positive effect on gaming in general (e.g. by bringing in players who might not previously have considered playing RPGs, but are now accustomed to them due to playing them casually on Facebook).
Hmmm... A standard "click to battle and hope for the best" game. Still, most people really like that kind of uber-simple game. It has a nice training mode at the beginning.