PDA

View Full Version : Board Game

Mike
03-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Just a thought...

If Hasbro owns the rights to Sword of Aragon...well, a board game based off the computer game would be nice.

Heck, the more I think about the more I'd like to put together some rules and a rough map board and put them online. Obviously, it wouldn't be as detailed as the game itself, but the actual game does lend itself to hex-based play in the classic war gaming fashion. The only difficulty is, you could never capture the large-scale combat.

Merlin
03-07-2009, 12:44 AM
You can do anything you want. Whether Hasbro will ignore the copyright infringement is unknown. We doubt that Hasbro even has any idea that they own this property, and have MUCH bigger fish to fry.

Morlicar
03-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Take whatever I say with that proverbial grain o' salt, but as long as the game used no text or trademarks from SoA, just ideas you gleaned from SoA, you'd probably be OK. Copyrights extend to the expression of ideas, not the ideas themselves (ideas are protected via patent). You shouldn't call it Sword of Aragon, nor use the city names and whatnot, but by now, only older gamers will recognize SoA anyway. It was a great game, and it still has appeal to me (if only I could find my copy of it, I found this site looking for a sequal or an affordable copy :)), but it hasn't been available for a long while.

Merlin
03-07-2009, 02:18 PM
You could try to develop something, and sell it to Hasbro. They require you to have an agent -- they won't talk to you directly. Been there, done that.

Mike
03-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Considering the amount of free print-and-play boardgames based on much more popular properties floating 'round the net, I doubt Hasbro would mind a game that made direct references to Sword of Aragon as long as it wasn't for sale. Warpspawn, for example, is a huge compendium of game rules, with many based off of copyrighted material -- each has a short disclaimer and then gets on with the rules themselves.

Did Hasbro go after the Sword of Aragon coffee mug for infringement?

http://mugs.cafepress.com/item/sword-of-aragon-mug/10520407