PDA

View Full Version : Game speed

Lexor
04-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi,

I don't mean to be knocking the game, I think it's rather good. However, the speed is terrible and makes playing frustrating. It's getting to a point where it's just not worth the annoyance caused by the long delays and sometimes 'Page connot be displayed' messages.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Lexor

Merlin
04-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'd really like to resolve this for you.

I haven't seen any speed problems, and very, very few 'page cannot be displayed' errors. Can you tell me what you were doing when you were having problems?

Checking the 'Remember Me' box might help, if you can allow cookies from the site.

Narwik
08-11-2009, 07:41 PM
For eg. in battle map, size Large: sprites are redrawing and arrows flying very slow. Its dependent from cpu power ofcourse, but even on fast HP server every turn takes minutes.

Guilty_Biscuit
08-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I'll second the frustrating speed. I now play whilst working on other projects (actually getting a lot more done on those than I used to, thanks to Aragon) - But I thought the speed was just because it's a Beta and I have a REALLY slow PC to begin with:

AMD Athlon XP-M
Processor 3000+
1.60 GHz, 224 MB of RAM

Using IE8

Also, connecting from the UK if that makes a difference (I'm not that tecky)

Merlin
08-12-2009, 01:14 AM
IE has a reputation of having a *very* slow javascript implementation. Have you tried another browser? I use FireFox for development, so the game will probably run best with that. There could be some slow-down because you're in the UK, as the servers are in LA, California, but much of the game is using Ajax to send updates, so most of the data for updates is not that large.

Also, 224 MB of RAM? That could be a big part of the problem.

Eudrick
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Until recently, I've played this game on an old 486 machine with 128 MB of ram. Of the 3 main browsers I've attempted (IE, Firefox, and Opera) only Opera was stable enough (and that as a legacy edition not the most recent version) for the game to work at all. That said, I was in the routine of doing a screen refresh on EVERY turn rather than wait out the sprites (which could take up to 20 min to finish). With the acquisition of a new system (THANKS Merlin and Moriority) battles that used to take 5 hours or longer now only take 20 min. CPU and RAM both are critical. I've proved it out at probably the lowest acceptable configuration but the better the system the faster the game. Try disabling the animations in your browser (in the tools section of Opera and IE). You won't get the cool arrows and explosions but it will speed up the game.

Guilty_Biscuit
08-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Try disabling the animations in your browser (in the tools section of Opera and IE). You won't get the cool arrows and explosions but it will speed up the game.

Disabling the animations has definately made a positive difference to the speed. I'll also try the game on a faster system when I get the chance and feedback how much difference it made.

I'm stuck in my ways with regards to using IE8 as the browser :o but when I finally get round to buying a new system I'll try FireFox and Opera out.

Thanks Merlin and Eudrick

Moriority
03-03-2010, 10:07 PM
As players built larger and larger armies, and at times encountered larger armies, "Next Turn/Please wait..." time was becoming slower and slower. A faster method of data transfer has been instituted. The results are incredible, especially if the player uses the Control menu tab to turn off Sound, Animation, and/or Results. It doesn't seem to matter if the unit's fighting the battle range in number from 10-20 or from 80-100, the turn around time is nearly instant. I hardly ever see the, "Please wait..." message. I don't even have time to stretch between turns anymore.

If you haven" tried a battle recently because you were annoyed by slow speed between battle turns, give it another try and see what you think.

Kurt

Narwik
04-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Yes, something for sure was improved. Game play is much better in this year.

Skarp Hedin
07-27-2010, 11:29 PM
am I missing something fundamental? I started the game yesterday and am stuck on turn 3. I was attacked immediately and the battle simply stalled. Grateful for any tips

Hedin

Merlin
07-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Your Mage action is "Cast Fatigue *". The asterisk means you need to target the spell. The top choice on the Mage's Action Menu will be "Target Fatigue". Select that, then an enemy stack to cast the spell on, and you will move forward. Good luck!

Skarp Hedin
07-28-2010, 02:07 AM
many thanks. I thought I had done that (I know who I am targeting), but I am very grateful for the advice AND ESPECIALLY the speedy response.

Hedin

Skarp Hedin
07-29-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm going to post this here because the more relevant threads are closed and my earlier post was responded to! I have used the "city/develop" tab to build houses, roads, etc, but when I inspect the "details" tab, although it shows the quantities I developed, it shows no allocation of resources; nor can I find a screen on which to allocate those reseources. The information provided on the "develop" tab implies that the required resources will be allocated - automatically?? apparently not. Please help me to understand - I love the potential of the game but am mildly confused.

Merlin
07-29-2010, 11:44 PM
The costs of the construction will be calculated on your next Aragon turn. When just begun, they only show the quantity because nothing has been spent, yet. (The City pages, in general, show the previous turn's activity, not the future.)

Moriority
07-30-2010, 11:04 PM
I see you got the Fatigue spell going. Another thing could interupt a spell like Fatigue, a cloud or Grow spell. I know this wasn't your situation but...,

Here you are in a battle, you see the guy you want to hit with a spell, and just as you're about to fire away, one of your other mages has cast a Fog spell or a Ranger cast a Grow spell and blocks your line of sight, LOS. I've done that more than once. Duh! Anyway, the so call "Fog of War" will jump up and suprise you in this game.

Kurt