PDA

View Full Version : Game stuck

Lexor
03-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey, I created a game yesterday but it's never loaded the first battle, all it does is display my and the attacking troops and a message 'Loading Info and Map...'.

I have logged in and out countless times over the last 2 days, clicked on 'New Units', 'Market', 'Rankings', etc... in the hopes that it will move it on but nothing works.

Help!

Merlin
03-28-2008, 08:32 PM
I loaded the latest backup, and your game looks like it is fine. There were some odd server errors this morning, which may have caused that problem. Check the "Remember Me" box when you login, then going to Aragon page should bring up the battle. And please let us know if that resolves the problem.

ibukovec
05-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Logging into this game become slower and slower each day, the last few days. Now i cant log in anymore, i just get the internal error msg after some time. Is something happaning?

Merlin
05-29-2009, 01:48 PM
We're trying to find out why the server has gotten mostly unresponsive over the past week. Some efficiency changes were made to attempt to improve performance. We'll see if that helps any, and continue to work on this problem.

ibukovec
05-30-2009, 01:04 PM
It works now, but my population growths stopped. I had no change in population for 3 months (14 world turns or so). Also my production dropped considerable (I guess a good part due to lack of workers, but not all of it.

Eudrick
05-30-2009, 04:23 PM
It works now, but my population growths stopped. I had no change in population for 3 months (14 world turns or so). Also my production dropped considerable (I guess a good part due to lack of workers, but not all of it.
How's your food supply? It could be as simple as that. My pop is growing on a normal curve. For production try lessening the % value of production of items for which you have a large stockpile. Also, did I see in the battle of the day that your militia took some big damage? Those are workers and their loss surely has an effect on production as well.

However, if it is, in fact, game system related (unknown by me at this time) Merlin will let us know.

Merlin
05-30-2009, 05:55 PM
It was a game problem, but it's not any more.

ibukovec
05-30-2009, 06:00 PM
i have 3,7 k food. My pop is 0 growth, no change in young, adult or old in 14 turns. My production is at 85 % so its ok for now, but why is my pop stuck? Losses dont change anything, i even recruited man for the army and no change (maybe there is my workers dropped).

ibukovec
05-30-2009, 06:06 PM
It was a game problem, but it's not any more.

Works now, BTW the scouts, do they have a function and why do i never get any (it says +20)

Merlin
05-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Scouts are used on the World screen to find out information about other cities. In the very near future, scouts will affect the distance you can "see" things on the region map.

Ranana_Jeok
06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
How is the economic game balance working out for you? Tell us how your game is going, what you think about the balance of the economic game?

ibukovec
06-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Scouts are used on the World screen to find out information about other cities. In the very near future, scouts will affect the distance you can "see" things on the region map.

Ok, then whats the use of spies then, i thought they where here to gather the info.

Merlin
06-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Spies are used the same way, but for spying on other cities.

Ranana_Jeok
06-22-2009, 08:27 AM
How is the economic game balance working out for you? Tell us how your game is going, what you think about the balance of the economic game?

ibukovec
06-22-2009, 08:59 AM
My armor, weapon and mount production is stuck for months now (I write this for the 5 th time) so i cant really tell. There are a few abuses left (markets) but the rest seem to go the right way.
But an ledger where i can see a breakdown of income and expense would be helpful. I have to calculate a lot to get this numbers and to find bugs then.
EDIT: BTW Next Level http://aragon-online.net/forums/../grafix/btn_help.pngNo higher level defined. I thought there is no limit.

Merlin
06-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Your Armorer and Weaponer require Metal, and Breeders need Food.

As far as level, I intended to extend that out more, but there is a technical problem to overcome before I can do that. (At about level 22, the experience for Mages overflows the limit of a 32-bit integer. The other classes will overflow at levels slightly above that. The option of using a larger sized number might work, but needs to be evaluated for accuracy.)

Eudrick
06-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Just so you know, We're in a dicussion now as to what to do when a player maxes out his character. We're evaluating a number of options and some kind of decision will be made soon. And then of course Merlin has to program it ;)

ibukovec
06-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Your Armorer and Weaponer require Metal, and Breeders need Food.

It came to me a few months ago, but thats not it. I have no change in the amount in the end of the month. I set my production to 0 (none) and i still dont lose anything, no weapon no armor no bow no mount.
So there is a bug here somewhere.

Just my opinion on XP: Change the amount of xp u need/get and u dont have any problems with the numbers. divede all by 1000 or even more, adjust the sarting levels XP need and change the curve a little.

Merlin
06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Hmmm... Maybe I've been looking in the wrong place for a bug? I'll look more closely at the unit maintenance code.

Merlin
06-23-2009, 04:11 AM
I was looking in the wrong place. I think I found the problem.

ibukovec
06-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Tx, the armor, weapon, mount and bow production is ok now and its as it should be (see ledger). But my wood, iron, food, lumber production is lower then it should be.
According to ledger(and city details) i produce 417,5 lumber- 26,4 (Tax)-374,4 (development)= 16,7. But i get -90,2. Same goes for the other stuff.
I had no ongoing production at this time.

Eudrick
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I bet it's the raw resources you have that's the difference. They produce some goods too.

ibukovec
06-29-2009, 04:48 PM
I bet it's the raw resources you have that's the difference. They produce some goods too.

With stone its the opposite. I should be negative but i have a positive income.

Merlin
06-30-2009, 02:12 AM
I'll keep working on the economics. With the ledger and details screens, it should be a little easier for me to tell what's going on, and to make it all consistent, and then document it.

Optumystic
07-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Hi, I am a new player with a 'game stuck' issue too.
My first turn my city was attacked. Not having played Sword of Aragon since it first came out, and not having read the help files here, I was probably doomed. But I will never know because the battle won't advance past tactical turn 10.

I've tried many different things over the past two days, but I am willing to try them all over again if anyone could suggest possible solutions.

EDIT: I am both happy and ashamed to say it was all my fault and everything is working fine. My mage was casting a spell and it was ready for a target to be selected. It was not allowing me to advance in turns without selecting a target. There was no overt dialog to let me know what was going on and I did not understand the game mechanics, so I thought it was just a bug.

Merlin
07-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi, I am a new player with a 'game stuck' issue too.
My first turn my city was attacked. Not having played Sword of Aragon since it first came out, and not having read the help files here, I was probably doomed. But I will never know because the battle won't advance past tactical turn 10.

I've tried many different things over the past two days, but I am willing to try them all over again if anyone could suggest possible solutions.

EDIT: I am both happy and ashamed to say it was all my fault and everything is working fine. My mage was casting a spell and it was ready for a target to be selected. It was not allowing me to advance in turns without selecting a target. There was no overt dialog to let me know what was going on and I did not understand the game mechanics, so I thought it was just a bug.
That seems fairly common, and we have never come up with a satisfactory solution. The easy solutions are both unacceptable: 1. Let the spell be wasted if not cast at the appropriate time - clearly not a good solution, or 2. Display a dialog telling the player there is a spell ready to cast - this would quickly get very annoying after the first couple of times. We'll review this again, and see if something can be developed. Hope you enjoy the game.

Optumystic
07-24-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't actually feel like there is anything wrong with the game mechanic.
The choice is really just between
A) Alter the system to baby noobs (like with dialog boxes) or
B) Perhaps more instructive documentation.

Do you have anyone on the development team whom primarily responsible for documentation? I am going to guess not. Probably just a couple of brilliant programmers knee deep in code.

When I start playing a game, or using any software really, I prefer to just jump in check the manual when I get stuck.

That is the same thing I did here and found the documentation to be ... spartan.

I'm sure as the game develops and more players arrive on the scene, there will be plenty of unofficial guides, charts and faqs. In the mean time, figuring it out will be half the fun.

Eudrick
07-24-2009, 07:08 PM
The Help system is admittedly sparse. We are in the process of updating it, as some (if not most) is currently out of date. Some changes and addtions to the game are not yet even documented (except internally) and will need to be added. As a jumpingt off point, take a look at the New Players Guide. While simplistic and bare bones (as far as the depth of the game) it DOES afford a newb the basic information to set up and survive their initial foray into ARAGON. Rest assured that we will be taking care of the help system sooner than later. We (playtesters and developers alike) are more than happy to answer, coach and or guide as needed. Post here or send V-mail.

Merlin
07-24-2009, 07:09 PM
<snip>Do you have anyone on the development team whom primarily responsible for documentation? I am going to guess not. Probably just a couple of brilliant programmers knee deep in code.</snip>Reminds of an old email tag line (from the old days):

Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

We actually just began the process of addressing some of the HELP system deficiencies. The last time it was updated was several months ago, and there have been quite a few changes since then.