PDA

View Full Version : Sword of Aragon?

shirtsnb
10-06-2011, 10:07 AM
So I've been looking around the internet and there seems to be no other place to talk about SoA. Does anyone know how to get past the following problem:

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx163/marvyy/aragon-bug.jpg

The new hero is stuck in the corner of the map, and can't get out. Is there any way to remove him or displace him elsewhere? I don't really care about the unit, but he counts against my hero limit.

shirtsnb
10-17-2011, 08:48 PM
The solution, which I found elsewhere, is to wait for winter, then try to move the hero out of the corner. Attrition still applies, even if the unit doesn't move. The hero will eventually die, then you can recruit a new one.

Merlin
10-18-2011, 12:36 AM
I had never seen that happen. Very creative solution.

shirtsnb
10-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Really? Jeez, according to this poster (http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,8/dgm,159396/), it's a 'legendary bug' in SoA. I remember encountering the same problem back in the day, and ignoring it. Much, much later in the game, I couldn't recruit more badly-needed heroes because I had a stack of them stuck in the corner. :(

Merlin
10-18-2011, 02:29 AM
We play-tested for many, many hours. I'm surprised that one got through! If I could still build the game, I'd fix that.

Guilty_Biscuit
04-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Yeah. Killing them with attrition is the way that always used to work for me. Although I spent quite a few hours as a kid sending rangers up there to try and cast bridge on the main map - :) good times!

shirtsnb
06-02-2012, 06:23 AM
Trying to move the hero and make him die of attrition didn't work. Apparently movement-based attrition only applies if he successfully moves to another square. He eventually died of attrition just sitting there in the corner. By that time, I was already past needing another hero as I already had my killer doom stack of high-level units, and recruiting one more fresh low-level hero wouldn't make any difference. Apparently, my skills have greatly improved since the early 90s.

Cadillacmike
10-21-2012, 10:14 PM
First, how did you get the mage stuck over there in the first place?
Second, the higher level your main character is, the higher level of hero he can recruit, so you could easily replace him with a better hero once he dies in the winter.
Third, when you recruit heroes, if you don't like the level, do not accept the hero and recruit another. After a few tries, you can see the max level allowable for that hero type.
Last, Always give your priests and mages horses. It speeds them up and helps their armor class.
I still play this on a XP laptop, no dos box neded. I just copied the entire directory over to the new machines HDD and it works fine!.

shirtsnb
10-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I didn't do anything. I recruited a new hero from the main city, and he appeared in the corner instead of on the city's square.

The problem is getting him to die. He only has 2-3% chance to die each winter turn, so he can stay there for a long time. There's a hero limit, and even stuck in the corner he counts against it. I even tried saving and reloading to try to get him to die, but I suppose the same random seed is used as it never worked.

What really needs to be done is some fine person out there should try to reproduce the bug, then we'd know what causes it and how to avoid it.