PDA

View Full Version : Somethings I've noticed

Nightstalker
07-10-2011, 07:58 PM
If I call for a spell and can't cast it in that turn then if I look at the plan a blue line disappears to the left upper corner of the display. After the spell is cast that disappears. Spells seem to always take 2-4 turns before the box opens to 'Cast Spell' when you click 'Spell'.
I have old eyes and would sure like to see the unit selected outline color (the dashed line box) changed to bright yellow or lime green because the red sort of gets lost in the background clutter for me.
I reduced my army by about 170 once and over 300 the second time. My number of troops decreased, my power went down and there were recruits listed on the City Summary screen both times. The militia count went up to 6 once, but other than that these ex-soldiers just disappeared. They did not join the population or anything.
After a couple of world tours my population did gain single digits but at least it's not a loss.
Food production is still very low. My detail screen shows lots of workers in agriculture but 0 production. I even added two plots in hopes of improvong it but no good came of that.
Well, now I have another battle to fight before I can advance another turn or two. Good fighting and fair weather to you.
Oh, I also noticed I misspelled 'Some things'. LOL SBT

Merlin
07-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Casting time varies with spell level. Let's try a yellow cursor.

Sorry about the deserters, but they wanted no part of your city. ;)

Orpheus
07-11-2011, 05:30 PM
My city is doing well except for food production but I'm afraid to build my army up. When can I start doing that? My population is over 1000 and growing but I haven't had any recruits show up yet. I don't have any cavalry and want to learn how to use them.

Merlin
07-11-2011, 06:58 PM
If your city Morale and Loyalty are high, you can conscript. (You can anytime, but those stats take a big hit.) You can also reduce your tax rate to 0% if you have lots of money and stuff, which helps Morale and Loyalty a LOT.

You only need 20 men for a Cavalry unit, so go ahead. Your city looks great.

Nightstalker
07-12-2011, 03:04 AM
The yellow will be great! And I don't blame anyone for deserting that obvious slave driver but things will improve in 50-100 turns......... I hope......

Nightstalker
07-29-2011, 05:36 AM
This a question about the results in a turn by turn basis and the random multiplier that I assume is controlling the results. Many times I have had 2-3 units with combined hit points of 300 or so fire into a group of enemy infantry (or any other unit). Sometimes the 'hits' will be excellent, like 25-35, or less like 15-20. This seems not dependent upon what type terrain the enemy unit is on or how far away it is. Then OTH many times I get the message, 'such and such unharmed'. Also, I have had 10-12 volleys from a combined hit point group of over a thousand get the same message. And sometimes get excellent results. So there must be some kind of random cycle built into calculating the results. Is this correct? If so, is it cyclic or truly random percentages? How difficult would it be to make changes to this?
Overall are ceossbows set up in the game calculations to be more accurate at close ranges than bows and more deadly?Do long bows have longer ranges than short bows or crossbows? How far can the various throw weapons be thrown? Thanks

Eudrick
08-03-2011, 12:56 AM
What are the enemy carrying (armor and charms)? No way to know until the EOB but it makes BIG difference. Missile attacks are also hit and miss (no pun intended) as any given arrow/ax/etc might land in an unoccupied micro hex. {Randomness is best addressed by Merlin}

I refer you to the equipment page of the HELP manual as to the range and damage of the various missile weapons. http://aragon-online.net/aragon/aragon.php?tab=14

Merlin
08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
The battle calculations are rather complex. There is a significant amount of randomness, with varying adjustments for weapon, range, unit level, and magic effects. The battle system is really well-balanced, so I'd be really hesitant to make big changes.

yhanno
08-05-2011, 07:06 PM
I wasn't thinking of changing all the well thought out deviations from what happens to a normal unit without any additional spells, etc standing in the open. I realize that a huge amount of thought went into establishing these parameters. I imagine that one of the last mathematically calculations in the process of calculating 'hits' is a random number that almost capriciously modifies percentages. I WAS thinking that if this is so, changing the process by which this multiplier is derived might not be that difficult and that weighting it in favor of an attacking force which has 'caught' an opponent not entrenched or right out in the open would be appropriate. The results I see incline me to believe that there is a purely random factor at work somewhere in the calculation that does not actually include the 'game reality' involved, as when a force is surrounded completely for one instance. I know I am on the outside looking in but am just telling you what I perceive.

Merlin
08-05-2011, 07:36 PM
One factor that overwhelms small adjustments from terrain, for intance, is level. You may be seeing that seemingly negate those factors.