PDA

View Full Version : Totally screwed up economy

Nightstalker
07-08-2011, 04:16 AM
I really did not contemplate the importance or the means of establishing a good economy and now my city's future looks very gloomy. People are still leaving and my efficiency is very low, food is very scarce and I don't dare draft a single replacement to make up for combat deaths. I've gotten rid of towers, housing, all kinds of production and still it is failing. I will delete another couple of things and grind along hoping that things improve, but I foresee a long, long road ahead. Do not build things too fast or this will happen to you. Do not draft lots of troops either/ You can build a big army but won't have support for them. And all you do is fight larger and larger armies. But I will not quit!;)

Eudrick
07-08-2011, 04:53 AM
I really did not contemplate the importance or the means of establishing a good economy and now my city's future looks very gloomy.Most don't... See http://aragon-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1716 While the bulk of the game is battle driven (especially if you are a Hero Of Aragon) your economy can make your or break you. Slow and steady is the rule People are still leaving and my efficiency is very low, food is very scarce and I don't dare draft a single replacement to make up for combat deaths.At this point all you can do is grunt it out. One suggestion to improve city morale (due to heavy conscription I'm guessing) is to cut down the size of your army. Let those troops back into the population and go for quality rather than quantity. This will have the ancillary effect of raising the city's morale as well. Judicious use of a smaller fighting force can be a quite rewarding experience and is the sign of good generalship. In general, two small units are more facile and more useful than one large unit. I've gotten rid of towers, housing, all kinds of production and still it is failing.Housing, once built , is a morale plus. Unless you've way overbuilt, don't remove anymore of it. Kill your taxes (if you have them) and send out emissaries to all the nearby towns. [ If you offer diplomatic relations with Amber, I'll accept and that will help your trade] I will delete another couple of things and grind along hoping that things improve, but I foresee a long, long road ahead. Ayup.. Sad but true. It's a hard lesson to learn but... The good news is once you recover, you'll have a much stronger position.Do not build things too fast or this will happen to you. Do not draft lots of troops either/ You can build a big army but won't have support for them. OTHER PLAYERS TAKE NOTE!!! He knows of what he speaks.And all you do is fight larger and larger armies. But I will not quit!;) Given the time invested, I'm glad to hear that.

Nightstalker
07-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I reduced my Army by 170 to drop some units below the 'exceeded stack limit' error I had caused. These are now sitting as 'recruits'. I am in a battle so my city stats haven't chnaged yet. Will these recruits automatically be absorbed as workers once this battle is over and a full week turn is completed?
And thanks for all the info and the support.

Eudrick
07-08-2011, 09:20 PM
More than likely all of them will return to 'civilian' life subject to recall as militia. Your stats should change on the next World turn. And WE IS all about support so you're welcome.

Nightstalker
07-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Well, I have tried many things but some do not seem to accomplish anything. I reduced my arable land plots with crops from 36 to 11 several world turns ago but the detail screen still shows that I have 36 which use 700 workers. That is my largest area of excessive labor use. I also removed over half my towers but I don't think those numbers changed either. (I didn't write them down and lost track.) ANy help or explanation would be appreciated.

Eudrick
07-31-2011, 02:51 PM
How many world turns have passed since you made the changes? Try reducing all production via the percentage buttons to the right of each of the various types on the summary page (remember to save). This will cut down the number of units in production with out removing them from your map and free up a bunch of workers. When things get better you can bump them all back up.

Nightstalker
07-31-2011, 06:28 PM
I will do that and see what happens. It was at least 8-10 world turns after I changed the developments before I posted. I'll soon be under 300 population. I think I will try reducing my army from 1100 to 300, but I've had armies with 40-50 4 character units attacking and will likely get run over. But perhaps it will save my city.

Nightstalker
08-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Wella, wella. We continue to strive with 'situations' at Placidity. Finally our production is at 100% and we are hovering around 300 populace but not producing anything and have no food. The populace health was about 60%. So I traded for 9500 food and the trade shows in the library. But nothing shows up on the graph page. Will it show up after the next turn? To me it seems that the trade should show on the graph page if it shows in the library.
Also, I now only have about 10 towers but the detail page shows that I have 36. What is this factor?

Eudrick
08-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Wella, wella. We continue to strive with 'situations' at Placidity. Finally our production is at 100% and we are hovering around 300 populace but not producing anything and have no food. The populace health was about 60%. So I traded for 9500 food and the trade shows in the library. But nothing shows up on the graph page. Will it show up after the next turn? To me it seems that the trade should show on the graph page if it shows in the library. Depending on the distance from your city of your trading partner, it could take a few weeks for delivery. The trade showed up on your credit card now you have to wait for the UPS man.
Also, I now only have about 10 towers but the detail page shows that I have 36. What is this factor?This is a known glitch, deleted developments sometimes aren't removed from the details page. If you look at the actual number of workers required you'll see that you're only supporting the towers (or other devs) you actually have.

Nightstalker
08-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the 'skinny'. I had not thought about any of that.Can I get an emergency airdrop if I pay a little more freight??!!

Eudrick
08-09-2011, 03:17 AM
Have you considered 'Long Pork'?:D:eek:

Nightstalker
08-24-2011, 04:51 PM
I asked this somewhere and have discovered some information that I will share here. All my towers were tall ones and each of those counts as three and require four workers to service them. Now all the arithmetic works out. The towers and their workers are being removed correctly from my city after all. Maybe this will help someone out. To put it all out directly: a small tower counts as one (I'm not certain how many workers it requires), the middle tower counts as two (just guessing) and the biggest tower counts as three (and I think it requires four workers per big tower or maybe three --I calculated it about an hour ago but forgot to write it down. Don't get old guys. LOL)

Nightstalker
09-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Placidity bottomed out at about 260 citizens and no one to replace battle losses while seeming to be in a new battle almost every turn. Had no magic for a while which was absolutely impossible. We are still getting hammered too much but have had some decent battles. I have posted one from today below. Also, we are growing slowly and our economy is growing again. Loyalty and Morale are also 100% and health is nearly there. Just remember to not draft your citizens early and get in sorry shape like I did and you won't have weeks of sorrow.
PS We could still be wiped out but I'm hoping for enough time to rebuild.

Date: 4 Avrilia 1376 Q.J.
Defended your city against a Gt Zombie army. 100% bonus for reducing enemy to 0% You gained a total of 1,350,217 experience. Experience bonus 104%
Your Chivalry increased by 2!
City Morale is at maximum!
City Loyalty is at maximum!
Your win-loss increased by 2.1

Lt Crossbow 2: 1 killed.
Luilda: killed!
1st Def Irregul: 1 killed.
Nightstalker gained 1 level!
Burwenna gained 1 level!
Clement gained 1 level!
Florenild gained 1 level!
Henry gained 1 level!
Isemeine gained 1 level!
Your spoils are 2.0 armor, 6.7 weapon, 42.8 bow.
You recovered 1 Armor: Chain +2, 1 Potion: Haste, 1 Potion: Healing, 1 Potion: Rally, 1 Amulet: Defense +1.
Nightstalker: Aragon Online Battle Results