PDA

View Full Version : Problem with multiple units on Tactical Hex

Nightstalker
07-03-2011, 08:57 PM
I first noticed this several battles ago but the problem has now become acute and weakens my defense. Until today I had 5 units, all infantry with 50 men each that got on the exact same tactical hex and cannot be removed from that as a group or individually. After the last battle I changed some of their sequence numbers and selected a 'formation'. When I looked on the tactical level I was surprised to find eleven units of 50 men stacked on the same hex. And none of them will move off! I even moved the whole formation outside the city and tried to move a couple of them to another hex. Nothing works.
Also, when I moved my formation back into the city it only barely got into the city. I tried it twice and both times the formation stopped onthe edge nearest where the formation had been outside the city. I'm moving my units into position and will leave that group somewhere on the edge of the formation not smack in the middle where they do not contribute anything, Of course, when the city is attacked I guess all units will move as usual. Can you suggest how to change this?

Eudrick
07-04-2011, 05:49 AM
I first noticed this several battles ago but the problem has now become acute and weakens my defense. Until today I had 5 units, all infantry with 50 men each that got on the exact same tactical hex and cannot be removed from that as a group or individually. After the last battle I changed some of their sequence numbers and selected a 'formation'. When I looked on the tactical level I was surprised to find eleven units of 50 men stacked on the same hex. And none of them will move off! I even moved the whole formation outside the city and tried to move a couple of them to another hex. Nothing works.
Also, when I moved my formation back into the city it only barely got into the city. I tried it twice and both times the formation stopped onthe edge nearest where the formation had been outside the city. I'm moving my units into position and will leave that group somewhere on the edge of the formation not smack in the middle where they do not contribute anything, Of course, when the city is attacked I guess all units will move as usual. Can you suggest how to change this?
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I checked into the stacking limit of INF units and unequipped units of 50 men have a stack size of 200 out of 250. Depending on the equipment that they are carrying they MAY be too large to move as a unit. You can note the size of the unit stack on the unit summary page (left side of the page about halfway down). If, as I suspect, they have a stack size of large than 250 that's the source of the movement problem. Either reduce the size of the unit or re-equip them with lesser items until they are under the limit. I personally use units of 25 or 30 men as they can double stack with ease. The issue with the formation doubling is something that Merlin with have to check out.

Merlin
07-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Your unit 1st SOG, for example, has a stack size of 300, greater than the allowed 250. There is a big red Unit stacking limit exceeded! on the equip screen. You'll need to reduce their number to account for the larger equipment (Long Sword and Javelin).

Merlin
07-06-2011, 07:12 PM
<snip>

If you zoom into the Tactical level for your city, you set the units' position to that edge, the same as when you go into a tactical battle outside your city. Your units will appear on the edge corresponding to your movement direction. If you don't zoom into tactical (hence NOT setting their position), they will appear in the center, in formation, if you are attacked in your city.

Nightstalker
07-07-2011, 07:24 PM
TY This information explains a great deal of problems I have had. Hey, I had to carry a hundred pounds into combat; why not these guys? Okay, I didn't know what that big red message meant and I wasn't inhibited from doing it, so I did over equip my forces. All of my units are therefor very 'heavy' and I will reduce them so operations improve. I will likely then see some of the reluctance to move when I want them to so do disappear.

I did finally get the units off 12,12. I zoomed to the Aragon level, selected them individually and ordered them to another hex. After they were on that hex I selected them as 'All' and moved them back into my city. They were on the edges and I left them. A couple of turns later on the Aragon level my city was attacked and when I looked every single one of them was back on 12,12. Eleven units of 50 each heavily armed were there. And the weird fact is that all of them had different sequence numbers. There were 2s,3s,4,and 6s. I thought that would keep them spread out. Maybe I have just overloaded them system? And after the battle starts they will absolutely never move. As long as it doesn't bother you, I'll keep reporting about this situation.

Merlin
07-07-2011, 07:29 PM
If you check your Formation, every unit is set to appear at the center hex (12, 12 if you're in the center of the battlefield). Spread them out with Formation before the next battle and you'll see different results.

Nightstalker
07-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Isn't that what the sequence number is for? I have set them into different groups but those units all show up at 12,12.
I think I have screwed up the program by building such a large army. I have tried to change my units' materials and I can enter different values- say, change weapon from 2 handed sword to none - but when I clcik 'save' it reverts to 2 handed sword. NOTHING will change at this point.

Eudrick
07-08-2011, 04:59 AM
Sequence number is the order in which your army is presented to you when you look at the entire list. Formation is done by using the formation tab on the unit menu. click on each unit one at a time and then click on the location you want that unit to assume at battle onset on the small map to the right. Save this when done and the units will assume those positions at the onset of any battle oriented in the direction of the oncoming enemy. Note that the center spot of the formation map is the hex 12,12 for any battle that begins in the center of the tactical map (notably city defense).

Nightstalker
07-12-2011, 09:53 PM
All right! Thanks to all of you. I reduced unit sizes and got the formation in line. My forces began moving very well. I was just fighting a battle and had the end battle button displayed because I had badly beaten the other army. I also had them completely surrounded hex by hex with units of 500-700 strength and some stacked. They were in range of 75% of my towers and bowmen were causing tremendous attrition to their ranks every turn. They were stopped dead nuts and on their way to TOTAL annihiliated when...... I hit the end battled button! Arrrgghhhhh! UG! I have thought about asking about this before (cause I have done this before but never in such a good position) and want to ask if there is a way to put in a "think about it" window like we have after every turn. "Are you certain you want to "End Battle". Could this be done? I don't suppose it's posssible to reset my game to the last turn of that battle is it? Maybe I need to just learn a hard lesson!
KMA ouch, oh, damn, umpf.......

Merlin
07-13-2011, 12:19 AM
There is definitely a confirmation for End Battle. It says "End Battle: Are you sure?" Are you not getting that for some reason? (I can't imagine why, though...)

Nightstalker
07-13-2011, 05:01 PM
No, honestly, I have never seen that message or a window or anything. If I click on 'End Battle' the window saying --paraphrased -- 'Calculating xxxxx whatever' comes up and then a few seconds later the battle results.

Nightstalker
07-14-2011, 04:00 AM
I thought I posted this but I will repost just in case.
I have never seen that message. If I select the 'End Battle' button, the results are immediately calculated and displayeed. Oh, I didn't go to the next page. Duh....

Eudrick
07-14-2011, 04:32 AM
I hit the end battled button! Arrrgghhhhh! UG! I have thought about asking about this before (cause I have done this before but never in such a good position) and want to ask if there is a way to put in a "think about it" window like we have after every turn. "Are you certain you want to "End Battle". Could this be done? I don't suppose it's posssible to reset my game to the last turn of that battle is it? Maybe I need to just learn a hard lesson!
KMA ouch, oh, damn, umpf.......Ya gotta wait a few ticks until the buttons on the top shift to the right. You're hitting the EOB button when you mean to hit the one to the left of it. All the buttons shift left and right in the course of the turn. The 'ARE you sure Button" pops up and if you thought that was next turn (with out reading it) that's what's nailing ya. And no, sorry, no reset is possible. [Been There, Done That, Got the T-Shirt]