PDA

View Full Version : 20th anniversary of Sword of Aragon

Merlin
11-30-2007, 03:30 AM
We should do something special for the 20th anniversary of Sword of Aragon. Ideally, it would be the release of the .NET version for Windows, but if not that (unlikely), what else?

Merlin
02-16-2008, 11:06 PM
This review wants a remake: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/swordofaragon/player_review.html?id=488732

quiritus
05-04-2008, 01:10 PM
I' m still plaing Sword 1.0 whit xp and it work fine apart for the mouse. why you don't correct only the part of the code of this and put in the forum to download without any other change??

Merlin
05-04-2008, 11:06 PM
There are two obstacles to that:
1. We don't own the copyright to Sword,
2. It's written in ancient QuickBASIC, which would cause me great pain to set up.

I'd like to finish the .NET version, but I seem to have another project right at the moment. ;)

quiritus
05-05-2008, 06:23 PM
If this project is Aragon online ok put all other things on hold. if not you are not justified :mad::mad:

About Sword of Aragon, I found it in a site af abandonwere. I think it not yet protected with copyright. I'm in error??:confused::confused:

Merlin
05-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Yes, the project is this site. It takes every moment of my free time.

Copyrights last 75 years. We still have over 50 years until it's not copyrighted. Even though the copyright holder doesn't care right now, I'd hate to get hauled into court by Hasbro. Building a new game (AO) is much less risky, hence this game...

Merlin
05-17-2008, 03:50 AM
Look what I found: http://www.munchkinpress.com/cpg149/displayimage.php?album=46&pos=7

I sure would like to buy that!

Merlin
05-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Here's a guy who wants to remake Sword: http://www.paradicesoftware.com/

mike74f
06-23-2008, 02:38 AM
how do u get sword of aragon to run in xp i cant get it to load in dosbox

Merlin
06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
I run it in Win 98 compatibility mode, and specify full screen. The mouse won't work, though, so it's keyboard only.

sreeja
07-23-2008, 06:47 AM
It is a very interesting game.Sword of Aragon is an extremely rare classic game which shows just how much was possible in those glorious early days. S.O.A is a turn based stategy game where the player controls individuals, cities & armies in anunfolding plot of politics and conquest. Unlike most other similar games the player is not a godlike being but rather an ordinary individual who has come to rule the city of Allada, and is represented as a unit on screen in both combat and map mode.

Merlin
07-24-2008, 08:54 PM
It is a very interesting game.Sword of Aragon is an extremely rare classic game which shows just how much was possible in those glorious early days. S.O.A is a turn based stategy game where the player controls individuals, cities & armies in anunfolding plot of politics and conquest. Unlike most other similar gamesthe player is not a godlike being but rather an ordinary individual who has come to rule the city of Allada, and is represented as a unit onscreen in both combat and map mode.
I'm very familiar with Sword. I wrote it with Moriority, way back in 1986-88.

ZBrand
01-20-2009, 01:13 AM

Quick question Merlin: was it ever intended for the Merchant Reward/Goblin Hunt to be a real quest, or was it put in as a red herring for people who would jump at it after the minotaur?

Merlin
01-20-2009, 01:21 AM
Quick question Merlin: was it ever intended for the Merchant Reward/Goblin Hunt to be a real quest, or was it put in as a red herring for people who would jump at it after the minotaur?
If I rememberr correctly, it was a false rumor. Mostly to get people exploring and moving around the map. Did you manage to get all 500 points?

ibukovec
05-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Damm im old, i played this game when it was released. I never found another game like it till now. I wonder if there will be a game like this, there where some tries from other games. Only thing i had to complain to this game is that it got to easy once u got ur armys levelrd up, only small challange was the dwarven city and the elves, the rest was no loss battles.

Merlin
05-21-2009, 02:26 AM
I bet I'm older than you. And Kurt is older than me. If we had it to do over again... Wait. We do, right here. Hopefully we can build another "genre-busting", revolutionary game that nobody has ever seen before, and is very fun to play.

ibukovec
05-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Today its more about looks then anything else, and most ppl like easy games. But it would be nice if u guys would pull it off. Maybe i even buy a game for the first time in my life then.

Forexmalo
07-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the information. Any other posts or blogs you can recommend?

Guilty_Biscuit
08-04-2009, 02:04 AM

Does that make you Russell or Kurt?

I was just the right age to get madly into SoA, I think I was seven when my Dad brought it home and I was hooked from then - I must have played every scenario to death back then. But nothing worked better than taking Xfanta for all it had every other turn. At one point I started writing the diaries of the other rulers in Aragon (sad - I know)

Obviously I don't play the game anymore - it is practically unplayable on my current PC. The original now sits up in my loft gathering dust...

There's just one thing that I wish I could have done and that was to make and maintain a properly effective fully mounted army. Cav, Mtd Inf and Mtd Bow... I guess some things just weren't to be :D

Merlin
08-04-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm Russell. The wealth in Xafanta should have been caught during play-testing. The 85,000 gold every turn was unintentional.

Kurt still plays the game occasionally. You just have to use the keyboard instead of the mouse.

Merlin
12-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Sword has a fan club on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=60383157642

mattiep
12-19-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm so glad that I found this forum and game. My father bought the game for me for Christmas back when it first came out. I am now teaching my 8-year old son to play the original game, running it in DosBox of course. Despite having played many times over the 20-years I have never gotten 500 points. I even attempted to read the text files to determine where all the points were but couldn't pull it off.

Merlin
12-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Welcome, and good luck. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post some feedback.

ausdav66
10-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Wow is this game 20 years old. makes me feel old. I played this when it first came out in1989 and loved it. It was a nice mix of rpg and stratagy.
I must have played it at least 20 times. it was very addictive. i remember thinking "'just one more round " and ending up playing into the wee smalls.I am happy to find this site and stoked that one of the original writers of the game is here. well done Russell your hard work gave me lots of fun. i would love to see a remake and would buy it in a flash!!

Merlin
10-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks, the game was addictive. We had a friend who played for many hours, until his wife was angry and turned off the computer. He hadn't saved his game even once!

mikpig
11-20-2010, 08:47 PM
I am having problems starting the game with my Win 7 64-bit. Anyone know a way around this? Would love to play the game again and remember what the 80's were like in my teenageroom..

Merlin
11-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Try DOSBOX: http://www.dosbox.com/

Let us know if that works!

mikpig
11-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Try DOSBOX: http://www.dosbox.com/

Let us know if that works!

Worked very well indeed! Thank you very much!

Time to ally with Tranavan and spank Lord Pitlags ass muhahaha..! :cool:

Merlin
11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
That's good to know. I'm sure there are a few people who will find that information helpful.

smulia1
12-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Salutation! Wow, I was thinking about Sword of Aragon last night, googled it and found this site! I always considered this game is very revolutionary even for today's standard. Anyway, Merlin / Russell, was it intentional that you can have multiple priests casting prayer to get to 100% blessing? With that, basically you can charge into any type of enemy with very few (or even no) casualties. Man, I will dust up my game, load DOSBOX and play it again tonight!

Merlin
12-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Everything about Sword was intentional ;) Except for that one bug.

supersniper
02-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Merlin,

Good Morning.

I'm writing from Singapore and I'm a huge fan of the Aragon game. I remembered fondly that I even hacked the game to have lots of gold using an editor and I had such an old 80286 in those days that one Xafanta battle can last for up to 2-4 hours. I have been playing it since young.

Will you guys be making a remake of the game? or a sequel? I was also thinking that maybe we can set up a new software company and market it together? Just a wild idea but nothing is impossible right?

Pls let me know.

You can email me at sales@moonlight-technologies-group.com

Thank you.

Arthur Ng.

Merlin
02-22-2011, 12:04 PM
We're glad you liked Sword. This game is a "remake" of sorts. We took the ideas from Sword and built a similar game that takes advantage of the computer advances of the last 20 years.

We don't own the copyright to Sword, so it wouldn't be possible to republish it.

Guilty_Biscuit
04-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Everything about Sword was intentional ;) Except for that one bug.

That's a surprise for me. I thought that the prayer stacking up was just how it was supposed to work. But there was never much need for 100% prayer after the sustained Pyro bombardment from my Mages and the hail of arrows from my Compound Archers.