PDA

View Full Version : the Regional screen...

par one
01-05-2011, 01:25 PM
is there some advantage to meeting armies away from your home square? cus the lack of my tower to protect my weaker missile units and low level heros(my crappy ranger chick keeps eating it while out on patrol) and the lack of my militia as shielding units seems to be a real negative. why would i not just wait for them to come to me?

also, does the regional level get more entertaining if i am a "hero of aragon". i find this level kinda dry. i just play on it so i can advance on the aragon level, where i am trying to somehow build a city that can support an army capable of both marching out and defending itself(so far i have not come close...)

Eudrick
01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
There are a couple of advantages that are not readily apparent.

When you force the attack you get both the initiative and the use of your preset formation. Often your army will be somewhat scrambled when the enemy attacks you.

Also, when militia are present, they take some of the Experience points from the end of the battle, slowing down the leveling up of your Character and army.

Plus there are 'enemies' out there that will NEVER attack your city.

And yes, Heroes get a larger list of bad guys to defeat (or be defeated by ;) )

Moriority
01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
In Sword of Aragon, (1989), if monsters got into your city, they pillaged whatever they could get their hands on causing economic distress to the player even if he won the battle and chased the invaders away.

Currently on "THE LIST" is a proposal to simularly allow an invader to destroy a player/character's infrastructure as they come in contact with resource icons. There are several issues to be addressed such as; 1. how many Movement points should be used to pillage a resource; 2. should all resources be pillaged with the same number of Movement points; 3. how much loss of a pillaged resource should the PC endure? An ultimately, how much detail to we have to put into the pillage act? We could just go for a general % decrease in all city resources depending on battle results, like SOA did.

Such a system of city pillage and resource destruction will cause the player to make a tough choice. Protect your city and its resources by attacking advancing armies BEFORE they reach the city, or use the city and its militia to help protect the growing army. (I love tough choices, for other people that is.)

For a growing army, and a small population from which to draw recruits for dead soldiers, the city walls and towers can be a real big help.

Kurt

par one
01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
i love the idea of armies pillaging. that really would make the regional screen more vital, and also force the players to actively defend their town. currently, i just huddle around my tower and hope my archers can pick off the enemy so i don't have to melee. i win the melees, but can't afford any losses. so battles are pretty mundane.

i loved the original sword. i can't beleive no one has been able to come up with similar good titles in the intervening what, 20 years? the warlord series was pretty good, but the story was not comparable.

par one
01-05-2011, 09:54 PM
one other thing. when i try to erect walls, it gets really screwy. seems like the graphics aren't able to handle wall intersections. is this a common problem?

Merlin
01-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Yes. There are no wall intersection graphics. I should probably add to my list disallowing walls that would result in broken graphics.

Moriority
01-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Sword of Aragon was developed in a somewhat unconventional manner. We actually developed the story before the progamming. We didn't develop some magic item and then try to figure out a way to jam it into a story-line. We made Russ program what we came up with in our imaginations, on 384 k no less!

Kurt

Merlin
01-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Kinda... I always pushed back, making sure that the new feature would not require lots of code or data. 384K, after all.

Eudrick
01-06-2011, 03:37 AM
I spent countless hours in front of a computer beating the bejezzus out of the game only to have Russ pull the floppy make changes, and thwart my attempt to beat it.